Napa Valley Language Academy
Napa Valley Language Academy offers a Two-way Bilingual Immersion Program to all students beginning in Kindergarten and continuing through 6th grade. The Two-way Immersion Program is a K-8 model where both native English and native Spanish speakers have the opportunity to become fully bilingual and biliterate while making normal progress in all academic areas. The Immersion program continues in grades 7-8 at Harvest Middle School. The goals of the program are:
Students will develop high levels of proficiency in their first and second language;
NVLA students graduate to Harvest Middle School where they receive one core subject and one elective in Spanish. Immersion students can choose from many levels of Spanish instruction in high school where they may earn college credits as early as 9th grade for taking AP (Advanced Placement) Spanish. We invite you to explore our website and learn more!
Napa Valley Language Academy, formerly Westwood Elementary School, was founded in 1949. In 1989, NVLA began offering bilingual instruction. Since 1995, NVLA has followed the Two-way Language Immersion model and is one of approximately 300 such schools in the United States. NVLA became a California Charter School in 1998 in order to continue offering its unique educational model in the aftermath of the passage of Prop. 227.
At NVLA, our students become fluent and literate in two of the world's most widely spoken languages. Within six years, students acquire the priceless gift of dual-language fluency. Both Spanish and English speaking students are essential to the success of the program, and students learn their new language from one another while developing life-long friendships. Student's appreciation for cultures, development of their talents and self-expression are enhanced through a focus on the Visual and Performing Arts.
The parents at NVLA participate in decision-making on all levels, volunteering for many campus committees and task forces. Parents of both language groups are required to volunteer on a regular basis, either in the classroom or in another area for a minimum of one hour a month. Parents help in the classrooms, on our fundraising committee, in the garden and science lab, library, computer lab and as representatives on our Charter Council, C.L.A.S.E. (Cultural, Language and Arts Student Enrichment) Foundation or on a parent-led task force such as "Earth Angels". Our parents are involved with their child's education in and out of the classroom, and have the opportunity to learn a second language along with their child through volunteering in the classroom, participating in a conversation group, or practicing Spanish as they work on projects together with Spanish speaking parents.
- Our Schools
- Elementary School
- Alta Heights Elementary School
- Bel Aire Park Magnet Elementary School - International Baccalaureate/Communication and Media
- Browns Valley Elementary School
- Canyon Oaks Elementary School
- Donaldson Way Elementary School
- McPherson Elementary School
- Mt. George International School
- Napa Junction Elementary School - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
- Napa Valley Language Academy
- Northwood Elementary School
- Phillips Magnet Elementary School - Leadership, Engineering, Art Design
- Pueblo Vista Magnet Elementary School - Dual Immersion/Environmental Sciences
- Shearer Elementary School
- Snow Elementary School
- Vichy Elementary School
- West Park Elementary School
- Willow Magnet Elementary School - Arts Integration
- Yountville Elementary School
- El Centro Elementary School
- Middle School
- High School
- Learn More
- Contact Us
- Apply Now